1080p remains quite popular and preferred despite 4K being the big thing. High definition 720p (1280×720px) videos already offer a good quality with great clarity. And Full HD 1080p (3840×2160px) videos deliver even better quality, improved clarity and realisticness. In this article, we will talk about how to download YouTube 1080p videos with ease and high quality.
3 Common Ways to Download YouTube 1080p Videos
1. Use Software
You can easily find tons of software programs designed to rip videos from YouTube as well as other video-sharing websites. Good desktop YouTube downloaders tend to have things in common, including but not limited to the ability to download HD videos, support for batch downloading and high speed. There are too many programs out there claiming they can download YouTube videos HD 1080p and can also let you do a bunch of other cool stuff involving videos, and it’s not easy to find the good ones that do exactly what they say on the tins. We’ve tested a dozen YouTube downloaders and chosen the best ones which are easy-to-use yet powerful.
#1 iFunia Free YouTube Downloader
Free YouTube Downloader for Mac from iFunia stands out among its kind because of its powerful downloading performance and impressive ease of use. It can download YouTube videos in original quality with high speed. Below are its main features.
- Downloads HD 720p, Full HD 1080p, 2K, Ultra HD 4K and 8K (7680×4320px) videos in MP4 or other formats from YouTube, etc.
- Lossless download with high speed
- Supports YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Vimeo, Dailymotion and 1000+ other sites
- Batch downloads multiple videos at a time
- Downloads YouTube playlists with one click
- Downloads videos and playlists to MP3 from supported sites
You can use this YouTube 1080p downloader for Mac to effortlessly grab videos from YouTube and other sites. Check out the instructions below on how it works to download YouTube 1080p content on Mac.
1. Install iFunia Free YouTube Downloader on your Mac.
2. Copy the URL of a 1080p or higher YouTube video. Open the said downloader, and the URL will be automatically pasted. To download videos in batch, just copy and paste multiple URLs.
When it comes to downloading YouTube 1080p playlist, just add the playlist URL instead.
3. Choose video quality and output format. In this case, we choose 1080p or 1080p60 (if the 1080p 60fps option is available in a video). As for the format, MP4 is recommended because it’s widely supported. Click the arrow-down icon, and the software will start working.
#2 Freemake Video Downloader (Windows)
It’s a pity that iFunia Free YouTube Downloader is not available for Windows, but luckily there is a YouTube 1080p downloader for Windows which is equally good. Freemake Video Downloader enables users to get 360p, 480p, 720p, 1080p as well as 4K videos from supported sites. Please note that currently this downloader only supports Windows 10, 8, 7 and Vista, and currently there isn’t a Mac version. The following are what it has to offer.
- Grabs HD 1080p and 4K videos from YouTube
- Download without quality loss
- Supports YouTube, Facebook, Twitch and tons of other sites
- Downloads playlists from YouTube
- Save multiple YouTube videos at once
1. Download and install this YouTube 1080p downloader on your PC. Open it.
2. Find a YouTube video that is available in 1080p and copy its URL. To check if a video offers 1080p HD quality, just click the gear-like setting icon in the control bar and then click the Quality to see all the available quality options.
3. Click the Paste URL button, and the link will be automatically added.
4. After the software finishes analyzing the URL, a settings window will appear. Select 1080p and click the Download & Convert button to start downloading the YouTube 1080p video. You can also choose the destination folder to save the video file. By the way, this program also supports YouTube 1080p 60fps download.
2. Use Online Downloaders
If you don’t want to install software and are wondering how to download 1080p YouTube videos without any software, you can find the answer here. You can easily download YouTube videos 1080p online with the help of online tools. While online downloaders are slower and less powerful with no support for lossless download when compared with desktop software, they are more handy and convenient to use.
The fact is that many online YouTube downloaders or converters are not able to download YouTube 1080p with audio. Don’t worry. The ones we recommend can definitely download videos with audio.
This free online service to download 1080p YouTube content couldn’t be easier to use. Available in 15 languages including English and Spanish, it is able to get FHD content from YouTube and other supported sites such as Facebook and CollegeHumor. It allows users to download HD 1080p, HD 720p, 480p and 360p videos, and currently 4K content is not supported.
It only takes a few simple steps for you to download YouTube 1080p online for free. Copy and paste the link of the video and select a format of your choice. Click More Settings and choose 1080p as the video quality and click the big start button. The conversion process will take a while, and when it finishes, a link will be available. Click the link, and the download will immediately start.
- Supports YouTube 1080p download
- Supports more than 15 video sharing sites
- Allows users to save specific part of YouTube video
- Available English and multiple other languages
- A bit slow compared with desktop YouTube 1080p downloaders
- Can’t download YouTube 1080p playlist
- No support for batch download
- No support for video quality higher than 1080p
ClipConverter, according to its owner, is a YouTube to MP4 & MP3 converter. It does a good job of what it claims. Its users are able to download 4K 2160P, 2K 1440p, HD 1080p and 720p videos and movies from YouTube, Vimeo and many more. You can also use it to extract audio from online videos in MP3, M4A and AAC. There is also a feature allowing you to upload and convert file, which, however, requires you to visit another site.
To get started, you need to paste the YouTube link in the Video URL to Download field and click the Continue button. Select the video quality and file format you need and click the Start button to download the YouTube 1080p video you need. It also allows you to edit file name before downloading.
- Download YouTube videos in 1080p, 4K and other quality levels
- Supports major video-sharing sites
- Users can download selected part of YouTube video
- Available in 21 languages
- Annoying pop-ups
- Can’t deal with videos containing music
- No support for YouTube 1080p playlist download
- Can’t batch download videos at a time
3. Use Browser Extensions
There is another way to free download 1080p YouTube videos without any software. There are Chrome extensions and Firefox add-ons designed to grab YouTube videos. Using this method, you don’t need to install any software, nor do you need to copy and paste video URL. However, Chrome users are not able to download YouTube videos using extensions anymore because Google does not allow it. You can still use such extensions on other browsers such as Firefox or Opera.
One thing to note is that many browser extensions designed for this purpose are not compatible with the latest YouTube layout. As a result, they are not able to work properly. The two extensions recommended below fully support the new YouTube design. Also, they both can download 1080p videos from YouTube with audio, unlike some of their competitors.
#1 YouTube Video Downloader
This is a Full HD 1080p YouTube downloader add-on for Mozilla Firefox. It currently only deals with YouTube and doesn’t support other sites that offer video content. Unlike many YouTube download extensions which can only download videos in 720p or lower, this one support 1080p and 4K. It also allows you to convert a video to audio directly.
Go to addons.mozilla.org and find the said add-on. Click the Add to Firefox button to get it installed. Its icon will appear on your Firefox toolbar. Open a 1080p YouTube video, and click the icon. You will be redirected to a page where you can find a list of quality levels and formats for you to choose from. Click the 1080p option, and the process will start.
- Perfect support for 1080p download from YouTube
- Multiple formats for users to choose from
- Can download video to audio file
- It can’t fetch video title. Users have to change and edit file name.
- Low speed
- Can’t download videos in bulk
- No support for YouTube playlist download
#2 YouTube Video and MP3 Downloader
This Opera extension can grab YouTube videos with various qualities such as 1080p and 720p. After you add it to Opera, you will find its icon on the browser’s toolbar, and a download button will appear on any YouTube video page you open. Click the button to open the dropdown menu listing available qualities and formats. Select the 1080p option, and let this extension works its magic.
By opening the icon on the toolbar, you can visit the setting page where you can decide the formats to show in the dropdown menu and choose preferred video playback quality, among other things.
- Fully supports downloading 1080p content
- Allows users to convert video MP3 file
- Various formats available
- Slow download
- Unable to batch download 1080p videos in bulk
- Unable to download any YouTube playlist
Comparison of These 3 Ways to Download YouTube Videos in 1080p
|Method||Support YouTube 1080p Download||Easy to Use||Lossless Download||Batch Download||Download Playlist||Download 1080p with Audio||Speed|
|Use Online Downloaders||√||√||×||×||×||Some downloaders can, and some can’t||Moderate|
|Use Browser Extensions||√||√||×||×||×||Some extensions can, and some can’t||Low|
1080p Videos on YouTube – Facts & Figures
4 Mbps – An internet speed of 4 Mbps or more is recommended for reliable 1080p streaming or downloading.
2009 – In the November of 2009, YouTube officially announced its support for 1080p HD videos.
5 Million – There are over 5 million YouTube channels to provided content in 1080p. The methods and tools recommended above can be used to grab videos from these channels.
2 Million – You can find more than 2 million YouTube playlists providing collections of 1080p videos. You can use software like iFunia Free YouTube Downloader to download YouTube 1080p playlist easily with just one click.
Just 2 Guyz is known as the oldest 1080p YouTube video and was uploaded in 2005, the same year when YouTube was founded. While the video now has a 1080p option, it isn’t real 1080p. It is upscaled. Don’t forget that YouTube didn’t support Full HD until the year of 2009.
It’s 2018, and it’s been more than 9 years since YouTube started supporting 1080p videos. Now you can find 1080p videos on YouTube covering all topics such as music, movies, comedies, pets, animals, technology, cooking, traveling, education, etc. In this article, we do a round-up of the common methods to easily download YouTube 1080p videos, along with the best tools to use for each method. We hope this article can be of some help to you. Your comments are welcomed.