For thousands of teachers, YouTube is more than a modern day video store. it's a chance to redefine traditional education by engaging students in a format more tailored to modern age. The obstacle that many teachers face, however, is that this site is blocked by system administrators in certain school systems. In such a situation, many would ask the question of how to use this site for educational use. There are three methods to download educational videos for classroom use.
The best way to utilize YouTube in the classroom is to free download video for education ahead of time, and save it to your computer. (See instructions below). This would allow you to place the video into a PowerPoint or keynote presentation without the need to use the Internet, and completely avoid being blocked from the site. There are basically three ways to download educational videos off the Internet and that’s how I’ll split up this post: either via video download software such as iFunia YouTube Downloader Mac, a web app like ClipNabber or via browser extensions.
Warning: According to the YouTube Terms of Service, downloading videos is not allowed. However, check with your school to find out their policy. My personal policy is that if it makes teaching better and that is your prime motivation, then downloading a YouTube video for presentations is ok. As a matter of fact, it’s a common practice to download educational videos for students.
Method 1 Video Downloader Software
iFunia YouTube Downloader Mac is a great app to use to quickly and easily download videos from YouTube and other video sharing websites for offline playing on your computer. The app also has batch download function and playlist download function. Below is a step-by-step guide on how to use YouTube Downloader Mac to free download video for education.
How It Works
- 1. To download youtube 1080p educational videos, your need to install YouTube Downloader Mac at first. Drag and drop the URL of the YouTube videos to the interface of YouTube Downloader Mac. The app also supports copy and paste of URL.
- 2. Choose the desired video format and quality that you want to download. Click the arrow down icon to start downloading. After the download is finished, you can click the folder icon besides the Format field to directly open the folder where the downloaded file is saved.
If you are a PC user, you can use iTube Studio to download educational videos to your computer for later use.
1. Install iTube Studio on your PC.
2. Copy the URL of a video and click the Paste URL button.
3. Choose output format and video quality. After you click the Download button, the download will start.
Method 2 Web-Based Options
My Top Choice
ClipNabber is a simple YouTube downloader with which you can easily download educational videos online. In addition to YouTube, it also supports many other video sharing websites, including Dailymotion, Veoh, Metacafe, and Myspace Video.
How It Work
- 1. Simply copy and paste video URL at Clipnabber.com
- 2. Click on "Nab Video" button.
- 3. You will be prompted with the download link of the Video.
- 4. Use "Save Link As" to get video on your PC.
- 5. Rename video to something.flv
Method 3 Browser Extensions
In addition to the two mentioned methods, you can also use browser extensions to download YouTube videos for educational use. Whether you use Chrome, Firefox or Safari, here are the best ways to make downloading YouTube videos a painless process. Some of the best browser extension to download YouTube videos include YouTube Downloader for Chrome, YouTube Video Downloader for Safari and Video Download Helper for Firefox.
My Top Choice
My top choice is Video DownloadHelper. It is easy to use and convenient.
How It Works
- 1. Add Video DownloadHelper to your browser.
- 2. Open the video you want to download, and click the extension’s icon on the browser toolbar.
- 3. Choose output format and quality.
- 4. Click the Download button, choose a folder to save the video file, and click Save.
These days it’s become a common practice for teachers to download YouTube videos for educational use. Educational videos are a great way to help students learn knowledge and skills. Videos make teaching and learning more fun and less boring. It’s a great way to make students more engaged and inspired. Whenever you need to download educational videos, you can use the three methods recommended above. Which method do you think is the most efficient? Welcome to share your thoughts on this article.