How to Play FLV videos on Mac OS X Lion
I am trying to watch FLV files through QuickTime, the problem is that I only get audio but no video under lion for FLV files. The same FLV file works fine under Snow Leopard. (I have two systems.) Perian is up to date. Same file works with QuickTime Player 7 as well as VLC and MPEG Streamclip App all under Lion. I've read some forums on net and found many of us having problems in playing FLV on Mac OS X Lion. Please help. Thank u in advance.
FLV (Flash Video) is a container file format originally developed by Macromedia and two different video file formats are widely known as Flash Video: FLV and F4V. With its smaller file size to store large- size videos, till now, FLV format has quickly established itself as the format of choice for embedded video on the web, However, FLV is not natively supported by Mac apps like QuickTime, iMovie etc. nor Apple devices like iPhone, iPad. So if you want to play FLV (Flash Video) files on Mac OS X Lion, you then need to use a player that can handle FLV files.
Play FLV files on Mac OS X Lion with Free FLV players for Mac.
VLC player is a cross platform application with a Mac version available for download from the VLC website. And in most cases it works like a charm under Mac. If your operating system is OS X Lion, VLC player would be a better choice it supports a large number of multimedia formats, without the need for additional codecs. It can handle FLV, WMV and VOB files to name a few.
* Download and install the VLC player
* Open the VLC media player, click "File" and select "Open File."
* Search for the FLV file you want to play. Select that file, and it will open and begin playing in the VLC media player.
Play FLV files on Mac OS X Lion with QuickTime Plug-Ins
Several third party plug-ins are available to allow users to watch .flv files using Apple's native multimedia media program. Perian covers many codecs and will almost certainly allow your FLV file to play in the Mac QuickTime Player. But there are also times when just the video of an FLV doesn't work and sometimes just the audio won't work, in these cases it's likely because you need to get a particular codec on your Mac to watch the FLV file.
* Quit out of QuickTime Player if it's open
* Download and install Perian
* Launch the original FLV movie back into QuickTime Player.
Play FLV with QuickTime on Mac OS X Lion
If you want to watch FLV videos on Mac and the above two solution just not work for you, this method helps. iFunia Video Converter for Mac can help you convert your FLV file to QuickTime format or any other popular file formats like MP4, WMV, MOV, AVI etc. You can also upload the converted files to your iPad 2, iPod, iPhone 4, PSP, Zune, and many other popular digital players for playback on the go.
* Download and install Video Converter on Mac OS X Lion, then run it
* Drag & drop FLV files to the program. Or go to "File" menu, choose "Add Video" to locate the FLV files you want to add.
* Choose the output format as MOV or QuickTime format.
* Click the "Convert" button to start the FLV to QuickTime video conversion.